Friday, March 20, 2009

Day 54: The daughter practices and mom wraps....but not at yoga

My 14 year old daughter has been hanging out at the studio all week while I practice.  She brings her ipod and homework and chats up young Patrick at the front desk.  All week long Patrick kept telling her "bring your yoga clothes and I'll give you a free class card".   She used to practice with me last year and lost interest when school started (she made the school dance team and has been busy).  So when her membership expired, I did not renew it (expensive!).  Anyway, she finally caved in and came to me last night, asking for help packing her "yoga bag" and making sure I'd take a water to work and freeze it for her.  She even called me at work today after school to get my opinion on what kind of snack to eat so as not to be too full.  She was totally serious, like "if I'm going to do this, I'm going to do it right!".  She did enough yoga last year to know that if you don't prepare it's painful in that hot room.  She's so damn cute! 
So today was 530 with Kirk, the self proclaimed easy guy.  Reggi and I were in the front row, Ashley a couple of rows behind us.  I had a fairly strong practice up until camel.  Something strange happened to me, I came out of camel totally overheated and disoriented and after savasana started doing the wrong posture.  Reggi saw me and her hand shot out, she snapped softly twice and smiled at me in the mirror.  It jolted me out of my stupor and saved me from an embarrassing moment~ you know, when the instructor has to say something to you and the entire class, who is setting up for the correct posture looks at you and chuckles.  Boy was I glad Reggi was there!  Phew!  After that I was ok again.  
Ashley had a great practice, did every posture and said she felt very good after class.  She said she wanted to come with me again, so we agreed she could practice Monday night. 
After yoga, my daughter mentions to me in the locker room "mom, it was so weird, Reggi was hanging upside down in camel and she winked at me".  Then, as we are in the car, driving to go get some food she's sitting there texting.  Out of the blue she says "mom, it was kind of creepy when Reggi winked at me in camel".  I started cracking up because it reminded me of another time when I brought a friend for the first time.  My friend knew Reggi and was behind her.   After class my friend says to Reggi  "you were tripping me out with your eyeballs!"  Reggi was like what?  My friend says "your eyeballs, looking at me while you're hanging totally upside down in a backbend! It was a trip!".  
So Ash and I get to the WrapHouse (her request) for food and as we are sitting there waiting, she is texting with her legs in an eagle wrap while in her chair.  I look at her and say "I so wish I could do that, I've been trying for almost two years!"  Then I said, "at least my little toe has been hooking around lately, I'm close!"  She says "mom, just try it, you can do it".  So I scoot to the end of my chair, cross my left leg over my right leg and start to say "see...." and then suddenly shooomp! My left foot hooked around my calf completely!  She said "mom, you are doing it!  Now just pull your right leg toward you more!"  So I did and the foot just clicked into place.  I was sitting there with the leg wrap for eagle.  I was so excited I could barely contain myself!  I said "Oh my God! I'm doing it!  This has taken me two years! and I'm doing it!"  Ashley is looking at me like I'm nuts and the guy behind the counter is sneaking bewildered looks at me.  I couldn't help it.  This is huge!  Then I grinned, the biggest cheesy grin I could muster and said "Look at me, I'm wrapping!  At the Wrap House!".  Ashley looked like she wanted to crawl under the table.  Again, you just can't make this shit up!  Too funny.
So tomorrow I'll probably fall on my ass in eagle trying to wrap my damn legs.  But at least I know I can do it sitting down!  Woooo Hooooo!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment