Friday, August 5, 2011

Counter intuitive or an excuse?

I have been going to the awesome Bikram Summerlin studio for the last month.  In that time, I have averaged 4 classes a week.  Not as many as I'd like, but I'm so happy to be back doing bikram that any bikram is better than NO bikram.  I have noticed, since I've been back, that my two month absence from yoga set me back far in my practice.  So, to get up to speed, I'm LISTENING very carefully to the dialog, that quite frankly, when I was going everyday I would tune out from time to time.  This has helped me tremendously.  In fact, I am making progress that I did not make before, when I was on auto pilot. 
One of my favorite instructors, Lacey, teaches up at Summerlin.  She has eyes in the back of her head.  Seriously.  I think they must install them at teacher training.  I cannot get away with anything when I take her class!  She noticed, right off the bat, that I don't kick out first set of standing head to knee.  Here is my logic on that::  when I do kick out first set, I can't hold it very long.  Then I get super tired from trying to kick out both sets and my bow sucks, so I'll just hold my foot the whole time first set.  Makes sense, right?  (you can laugh, it's ok)
Soo....she started to call me out on it.  "bikramyogachick, kick out!".  EVERYTIME I took her class. So I started to kick out first set all of the time, whether or not she was teaching.  I could hold it a little better each time and eventually I got stronger and was not wiped out by standing bow because my endurance improved by leaps and bounds.  Oh, and on the right side.....can almost get my forehead to my knee.  WOW! 
So thank you Lacey.  For encouraging me to push to my edge and breakthrough my excuses!

5 comments:

  1. Hi! I love your blog and following your love for Bikram. I have a question though... I was on somewhat of a Bikram binge, 4/5x week for 3 weeks. I had a groupon and tried to take advantage of it as much as possible. Now that I no longer have the month pass, I am having a hard time getting back into it. Could you recommend a way to ease back into it?... as I am terrified of being back at ground zero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caroline! Thanks for reading. I would love to be able to give you some sage yogini advice but the harsh reality for me was I just had to drag myself back into the room and drop any expectations of my practice. Drop the thoughts of how I should be, feel, look and let my body just acclimate again. It's been very worth it, feels great to be back in that room!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey 4x/week is pretty darn good. They say a consistent practice is 3 days/week, so I bet you'll see a lot of improvement with that regularity. Sounds like you already are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was laughing as I was reading your post because I always hold back in the first set of standing head to knee too! My favorite teacher has started saying "If you can - you must...LISA." It's funny how we can logic our way into habits that don't advance our practice! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK -- I'll try that kicking out in the first set. Cause my endurance in that pose sucks when I'm kicking out. Especially since those tight hamstrings will not allow me to kick out all the way.

    But you've given me inspiration. tomorrow at 6am.

    ReplyDelete