Monday, November 28, 2011

Yoga is "Play Time"

I've been having fun with yoga lately.  The Bikram Yoga Summerlin studio is becoming my home away from home.  Just like days of old, when I would hang out with the "regulars" and have a blast during challenges, the same is happening up at Summerlin.  We facebook "tag" each other when we "check in" via facebook.  We do facebook "shout outs" to see who's going.  We save spots for each other.  We breathe as one, we help each other up in full locust.  After class we play around on our mats a bit, practicing postures, stretching, our bodies like a built in jungle gym.  And of course, there are the sweaty hugs after class.  At 41 years old I am suddenly more curious than ever about my body.  I was always the kid in gym class who got picked last.  I could not do cartwheels, handstands, headstands or splits like the other girls.  I was very uncoordinated, completely not flexible and just non athletic period.  In high school I swam and ran cross country but I was not great at either.  Now I find myself going through a process.  "I want to learn how to do handstands".  "Could I ever do the splits?"  These thoughts have been rolling around in my head, bright spots of "what if".  What if?  What if I could, at 41, learn the splits, a handstand??  What else could I learn?  What other postures can my body do with practice?  So I asked for help, from a teacher.  She's going to show me what to do, everyday, to work up to the splits.  I'm excited, because instead of what if....it's when.  If I practice everyday I will do the splits!  I don't know how long it will take, and it doesn't matter.  What matters is progress! 

5 comments:

  1. I love your post! I just signed up for the " new student" one month.. I'm really excited to get started. I have to say I'm a lot never and look forward to eventually being able to touch my toes!! Good luck with your splits will be reading your progress .. Dedo1953

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant a lot nervous!! Not never! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome! I'm so glad you signed up for a month. See you in class! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome! I took class at a different, far-away studio from my regular one on Monday and it was SO nice to have that "real community" feeling! I'm grinning for you. Keep us posted on the progress!

    ReplyDelete