Tuesday, July 20, 2010

This is what happens.....

This is what happens when you practice almost everyday for THREE years and then stop for a MONTH....
  • I've noticed I can't inhale as deeply....I feel short on oxygen. Of course I'm under crushing stress. The kind that makes people jump off tall buildings. So most days I walk around with an elephant sitting on my chest. Bikram helped me to inhale, even with the elephant taking residence.
  • I'm tired. Alot.
  • My lower back aches after sitting at my desk all day. My knees creak. I absentmindedly rub my knotted up neck. I find myself rubbing knots out of my feet.
  • I inhabit my body awkwardly. Getting in and out of cars, sitting and rising from low couches. This is all done without the grace that comes naturally from a regular yoga practice.
  • I get headaches.
  • I don't have that "lightness of being" that gift of feeling good that comes with practicing Bikram. I can feel a huge difference. It's really a lack of "well being".

The good news: I get to go back.....TOMORROW. I was on track to be able to get back in August. I was trying to be patient. Then out of the blue, an opportunity dropped into my lap. Somebody up there loves me.

So tomorrow. I get to die a hot sweaty death. I'm nervous. I called in the big guns. My two yoga bff's are going to come take class with me. I will have their energy to feed off of!

8 comments:

  1. Hope you'll feel great afterwards!! I hate not going for 2 days, can't imagine a whole month. I'm sure it will stink (ha, ha) during the practice but you know you'll feel sooooo great afterwards!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reminder for everyone about what regular practice can give you. So great you can get back in the room earlier than anticipated! You will feel SO much better. Go "kill" yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, M! I hope you get out of class exactly what you need from it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you're going back! Enjoy your sweaty death. Never too bad, never too late to start from scratch and be born once again...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally get what you mean. I haven't done Bikram nearly as long as you have, but I've been only going twice a week lately and suddenly I have insomnia. Argh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heck yeah, M! I'm so glad you're going back. Maybe this little break from yoga will be just what you need to reinvigorate your passion for the practice and really love those hot and sweaty classes.

    Amen to the loss of headaches... I try not to take for granted the fact that I wake up every day now and not have to worry that I might get a migraine. It's such a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh, I feel for ya, lady. The hardest part is getting yourself to the studio, in spite of the dread and fear and worry. You'll be fine. It'll be uncomfortable, yes. But, you know this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'll have Dray tonight! Good way to return!

    ReplyDelete