Friday, June 12, 2009

Day 138: class 127~ Dynamite Dominique and 7 years of bad luck?

I've been stressed lately.  I woke up in the middle of the night when I was in redondo beach, didn't have a clue where I was and was grinding my teeth.  Once I got my bearings I calmed down, unclenched my jaw and its been sore ever since.  My bite is off now.  That's how bad I was grinding them.  Then last night I was having a very vivid, very surreal dream and I woke up to a boom and my house rattling.  It was 3:27 am.  I stared at the cat, he just started purring and I looked around frantically, putting my glasses on, trying to adjust to the dark, heart pounding, adrenaline racing, afraid to turn on my light.  I reassured myself with the silence of my alarm NOT going off and lay there for 15 mins listening in the dark.  Nothing.  I was too scared (read: big fat chicken) to even go downstairs to investigate.  I finally fell back asleep and woke up to everything in tact and normal.  
Then today I had a tough day.  That leaf I swore I'd never glue back onto my person?  It's been fluttering listlessly in and out of my life, with no intention or meaning, confusing and hurting me.  So I finally tore it off.  It hurt.  It was more like gray duct tape rather than a leaf to shed.
I stumbled into 430 yoga, needing it more than I have needed it in a long time.  Somebody new was teaching.  In the small torture room no less.  I was not looking forward to it, but needing it all the same.  Reggi was there and set up my mat while I changed.  Another regular set up behind us.  He was smiling happily when Reggi and I came in.  In comes Dominique.  A little blond fireball from Canada who just spent a few years in London.  She was fantastic!  And the weirdest thing was she knew my name.  I had never taken her class.  She corrected and encouraged me a bunch.  Even stranger, I was the only one she corrected or encouraged directly by name.  I was so surprised that I started to work even harder, wanting to do what she encouraged me to do.  I was just so pleased to have my practice turn out to be so wonderful, to feel so good, so strong. so flexible and to absolutely soak up her happiness, light and energy.  I left that room feeling like I just had a 90 minute massage and a major attitude adjustment.
And then I broke a mirror.  I had a hair appt at 7pm and when I was all done and rummaging around to get my checkbook out of my purse, this little hand mirror goes crashing off her station.  She looked at me, horrified.  I've had this hairdresser for years, we are friends.  I jump down apologize and start putting the long shards of glass on the plastic remains of the mirror.  I thought she was mad I broke it.  Oh no, her look of horror was because she was superstitious.  So she bagged up the remains carefully, making sure every shard was in there and begged me to take it home.  I'm supposed to crush it or bury it under a tree when there is a full moon or something.  I'm not superstitious, I delete chain letters all of the time and I do step on cracks on the sidewalk (wait, both my parents have bad backs....ahhhh..) but I sighed resignedly and took the bag from her figuring with the past few months I've had it couldn't hurt to find a tree and figure out when the next full moon is.
**sigh**.

2 comments: