Wednesday, May 12, 2010

OH BABY!

Tonight was 6pm with Toni Jo. I arrived to find her standing by the front desk holding an adorable baby girl. Before I go any further, I feel I must explain myself for those of you who don't know me. I don't do baby. I have an amazing daughter who will be 16 this fall. I've been a single mother her whole life. By the time she was two I decided I was not interested in having any more children. After that decision I never wavered. So I'm not the woman who gushes over infants. Sure, they are cute and all, but I'm not a gusher.
Until now.
This perfect 7 month old baby girl belongs to Sara, a visiting teacher from San Francisco. She was teaching the 4pm, so Toni Jo was baby sitting before teaching the 6pm. After changing into my yoga clothes, I spent the next 20 mins hovering around Toni Jo and baby. I oooh'ed and aaaah'ed. I gently squeezed little baby feet. I smiled as the baby cooed at me, flapping her arms, grinning and drooling. We laughed and commented on how good this baby is! A little yoga baby! Mom did yoga until 6 days before delivering.
I walked into class, visions of babies dancing through my head. I lay my mat down and thought about the cute yoga baby me and my yoga crush would make. Wait! What? Who said that! I spent the rest of the yoga practice breathing and stretching and telling myself I'm too old to have another child. I decided my hormones must be making some silly last ditch attempt...."last chance for a baby! You are 39! Last chance!!!"
The class ended up being perfect temperature and Toni Jo was full of lovely energy. Her timing was impeccable. I was able to work hard without feeling wiped out. I left with a ton of energy, buzzing out of there on a yoga and baby high....smiling at my yoga crush on the way out....

10 comments:

  1. Oh, how cute! Love to all (yoga) babies =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who did yoga through both of her pregnancies and both of her kids were born at home with relatively little trouble (you know, for labor and all) and they are the chillest/cutest kids ever. Start 'em in the womb!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I wish I could bring my little one ( 1 1/2) to Las Vegas with me. The other day at home I was doing a little bit of stretching, trying standing head to knee in the kitchen when he started imitating me by flexing his feet and laughing. Now, everytime I do this, he tries. It is the cutest thing. I need to take a video !!

    Now wondering if it's too early to show him how to lock the knee :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW ADORABLE!

    I can already imagine you and said crush's babies.

    "LAST CHANCE, ASK HIM OUT, ASK HIM OUT, ASK HIM OUT"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please allow me to smile, follow your hormons and ask the guy out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol...darn hormones, eh? I'm not a baby person either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you know, i believe that yoga can help us unlock secret desires. does that mean i think you really secretly want to have another baby? not necessarily. because i think, much like dreams, it's not always literal. maybe it's a metaphore for something else like... seeking rebirth? a new beginning you crave? perhaps you were just drawn to the purity of that little yoga baby's energy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yoga babies rock! :)
    Lady Yogaga~ seeking a rebirth is EXACTLY what I am feeling! Hmmmmmmmm......

    ReplyDelete
  9. "By the time she was two I decided I was not interested in having any more children."

    WHAT. So interesting! You must elaborate on this...

    ReplyDelete
  10. LiLu~ Terrible two...from 18 mos til 5. Nuff said! :)

    ReplyDelete