Monday, January 28, 2013

Day 11- Old Ideas

The past two sundays, in order not to cut into our hiking adventures, Jimmy and I have been doing the 7am class.  Now I have no problem going to the gym two mornings a week at 5am for body pump class, but for some reason, I hate morning yoga.  Any bikram class prior to 10 or 11 just hurts.  My arms don't want to straighten out in half moon, my back moans and won't do the backbend, and I feel weak overall.  Last Sunday I was grumpy after the 7am class and started to snap at Jimmy and our friend David while in the starbucks drive thru on the way to hiking.  They laughed at me and David leaned forward from the back seat and looked at me earnestly with his big blue eyes.  He said "Michelle, your thought about morning classes being hard is an old idea.  You need to let go of it".  Well, being in a bad mood after a train wreck of a class, I poo poohed him and continued being in a bad mood for a good hour, compounded by finding a screw in my tire that day.  Fast forward to this week.  Yesterday was 7am again on Sunday.  The teacher walked in and I stood up on my mat.  I looked over at Jimmy and he shook his head and smiled at me.  I smiled back and put my toes and heels together, listening to the teacher get the class ready to start.  As pranayama breathing began, I heard David's voice in my head....."Michelle, that's an old idea" and I surrendered to having an open mind about class.  I was not nearly as strong and flexible as I am during the evening classes, but I decided to enjoy the process of waking up my body.  Seeing the sun peeking in through the studio windows, sharing morning energy with my classmates.  After class my body tingled with life, ready to face the day.
The teacher led us through a lovely 90 minute moving meditation.  When she closed the class and said "It looks like it's going to be a beautiful day, Namaste"....I said Namaste back with a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment