Thursday, May 15, 2008

Introduction


This is a picture of Bikram Choudhury and his wife Rajasharee. Bikram put together a series of 26 yoga postures and two breathing exercises to create his beginning yoga series. The kicker: this 90 minute physically challenging class takes place in a room that is heated to approx. 105 degrees with over 40% humidity. So for those of you who think yoga means sitting in a bliss full state and contemplating your navel, well, think again. Actually, don't think. Just walk in and take a Bikram class. Drink plenty of water first!
The posture they are demonstrating is called "Trikonasana" or "Triangle" pose. I chose this picture for my first blog because Triangle was the first posture that I was able to do in a "halfway decent manner" when I started practicing Bikram one year ago. Do I look like them now? No. But everyday I improve just a little bit on at least one posture. If you've been in that hot room, you'll know that's sayin' something!
I completed a 60 day challenge in Jan/Feb of this year and now my studio is running another one. OK, I'll do it again! I felt great! To be honest, I've gotten a little lazy with my practice....I'm down to 4 or 5 days a week, and still eating the same as when I was on the challenge and have put on 5 pounds. For a woman who still needs to lose 30lbs, that's not a good thing. So challenge here I come! I'm going to actually consider going for 90 days this time, but first I'll commit to another 60 and see what happens. Life can throw curve balls at us, so I'll just have to see.
This blog will keep track of any progress I make in the postures (non- yoga people are going "yawn"), my thoughts, feelings, and well, just anything that happens! Maybe some non-yoga life things too!
The challenge starts early June.
So I'll see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment