Monday, November 16, 2009

Day 8: The Classroom Effect

I figured out why I love Bikram yoga so much. Well, one of the many many reasons. Today I went to some technical training for work. I am an I/T supervisor and don't get to put my fingers directly in the pie anymore, so to speak. Going to hands on Microsoft Active Directory training (we are migrating to that from, gasp, Novell...I know we are behind!) for our technical staff was a given, but when I heard I was going as well, it was all I could do to contain myself, act professional and not squeal. When I was in grade school/jr high as a child I was very quiet. I was bookish, chunky, shy, wore glasses and kept to myself. Until you got me in that classroom. As soon as the teacher would ask the class a question, I would light up like a Christmas tree. My little hand would shoot up and when I supplied the correct answer and received the warm smile of that teacher, all was right in my shy little world. Sadly, I haven't changed. Today I'm sitting in a training room with brilliant technical people. They aren't interested in being teachers pet. So when the teacher posed a question "why don't you want to put users here?" Silence. I sneak a look around. I know they know the answer, but they are not going to budge. "Because it's a container". I say. "Good. Why don't you want to put them in a container?" I squirm uncomfortably and look around again. Silence. "Because policies don't apply to containers, so you want to put them in an OU." The teacher smiled at me, thankfully. So for the rest of the day I continued to answer all of his questions (correctly believe it or not! I've still got it!) and was the first to finish every hands on lab. So I suppose my propensity for being teachers pet has not left me. In fact, when I got up to Dray's studio for 530 with Roberta, I found myself laughing at myself as I lay my mat, the first one down, in the front row. All throughout class Roberta called me out. "Michelle, kick harder. Body down, touch the front mirror Michelle!" In separate leg stretching "Michelle, what are you doing, I've seen you do this posture real well, pull with your arms!" I couldn't escape and at the same time I realized that I also welcome it. That's why I keep coming back. That's why I like going to a studio where everybody knows your name, like cheers. I love to learn. I love to be a student. In the Bikram yoga room I truly feel that I am in class, preparing for the bigger classroom that is life.

6 comments:

  1. Oh. No wonder we get along. We are the same kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes girls! This sound very familiar...sounds like me too! Was smiling as I read your post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever notice yogis are pretty darn smart? Not a coincidence...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big smile on my face as I was reading your post. I know exactly what you meant. Sounds 100% like me too!!! I love Bikram but I am also a UNIX nerd ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. J, Tracik, G, Cirita~ Bikram yogis=smart people! :)

    ReplyDelete