Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Fire and Ice

If you've been reading my blog you know that I suffer horribly during back to back doubles. The last double I did was a 1pm class followed by a 3:30. Having one hour to recover helped and it wasn't as bad as the back to backs with only 3o mins in between.
Tonight I decided to do a double. Why you ask? I really don't have the foggiest idea. It just sounded like a good idea after taking Sunday and Monday off. I took Dray at 5:30 followed by wonderful Dray again at 7:30. Hey, if I've got to spend 3 hours in a hot room, why not with one of my favorite teachers?
How did it go? Great. It really went great. I went into the first class with the mindset of breathing. I wasn't going to slack off but I wasn't going to go balls to the wall either. You see, that's where I have always had trouble. I'm all or nothing. Black or white. I remember receiving a valentines day card when I was about 10. The very observant little boy awkwardly wrote: "To Michelle....you are fire and ice". Being 10 I was pretty offended because I really didn't know if he was complimenting me or making fun of me. Later, in my adult life, another man told me the same thing.....in those exact words "You are fire and ice. All or nothing." That trait has helped me in some areas but not others. For somebody like me, balance is very hard to obtain. Yet I always seek it. I crave balance. Perhaps that is why I'm so drawn to Bikram yoga. Tonight I found balance. Perfect synchronicity of breath, movement and focus. I had a solid first class. Second class was also fairly solid but I was a little tired. Instead of getting angry with myself I would gently stop, focus on having proper breathing and flow back into the posture, trying to ignore aching muscles. It wasn't any less painful than other doubles, the difference was my attitude toward it. I was more....nurturing. Looking at myself in the mirror I had on my yoga face. No grimaces or glares or frustration. Just me, flowing through that second class and feeling like a million bucks at the end......

9 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a very positive double experience! That's so awesome! Doesn't it feel so incredible to focus on acceptance and thus have a great class? As you've realized, the attitude with which we practice makes such a difference--so much of the yoga is about the intention... One of my teachers always says, "Change your mind; change your options." I think she's right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iz~ "change your mind, change your options" That one is a keeper! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, doubles! I'm actually impressed with doing a back to back double after taking two days off. And I like that term, "Yoga Face."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you guys are making me want to try doing a double. I like the Fire and Ice thing. I tend to be all or nothing too. Can't do anything halfway. Happy you had such great classes! Attitude is everything, sets the stage for a good day or a bad day. Have a great class tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greg~ Makes you think of that song "my poker face" doesn't it? Oops, sorry to do that to you! You may develop a song headache.
    Traci~ Try it! Not all people suffer through them like I do. Alot of people love them right away. It's taken me awhile to figure out how to do one without totally killing myself. Have a wonderful class yourself girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice..." You know that poem? It's Eliot. Love it. Anyway, fire + ice = sun + moon = ha + tha = yoga!! Perfect!! Knew you were a real yogi. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. J~ I'm loving your equation! Yes, know the poem. Nice reference!

    ReplyDelete
  8. J; That was the first thing I though of too -- that byc would get to see the world end both ways. And the poem is by Frost, not Eliot. Eliot's world ends not with a bang but a whimper.

    Some say the world will end in fire,
    Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To say that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Duffy~ thanks for sharing that in it's entirety. It's a really cool poem.

    ReplyDelete