Saturday, April 18, 2009

Day 83: A double and one of the "P's"

Today was my double day.  I went to 1130 with Frank followed by 130 with Oksana.  Reggi and Shelley were coming out of the 930, Reggi having done a double...730/930.  She said the second class was tough, that she threw up in her mouth a little.  She saw the horrified look on my face and said, I know, TMI, but there ya have it. 
Frank was great as usual.  There were quite a few new people (three teenage girls) and I brought a co-worker.  The new girls were all lined up in the back row behind me.  After the first breathing exercise was over one of the girls, a very slender blonde gal sat down abruptly then suddenly was flat on her back, her head hitting the floor and not gently!  I was standing there in shock, holy shit she just passed out!  I tried to sneak a look at the newbie I brought to see if he was freaked out, but he looked unphased.  I've been going for 2 years and have never seen that happen!  Frank rushed over to make sure she was ok (she came to right away) and he handed the headset to Roberta, who was practicing in the front row with me and took the girl out on the lobby.  He was only gone for first set of half moon, came right back in.  The other two girls, to their credit, did not freak out about their friend, they stayed in and continued on.  The one that passed out came back in about 15 minutes later and proceeded to finish the entire class!  I was totally impressed.  The guy I brought did pretty good.  He did leave the room for a bit and come back.  I asked him in the lobby afterwards what he thought and he said while he was in the lobby taking a break he signed up for a week!  I had a very very strong class with Frank and felt good going into the second class.  I changed my towel out, changed into dry clothes and had a zico and emergen-C to get ready for round two.
Round two: It's a knockout.  Michelle is down for the count.  I'm not even going to get into detail about the trainwreck that ensued between 130 and 3.  Suffice it to say I sat out all of triangle, all of camel and was laying in savasana ALOT the last 15 minutes of class because I couldn't really even move at that point.  After class my ears were plugged and my chest was tight.  This always happens to me second class on a back to back double.  I do not know why.  It takes me a couple of hours to recover from it and get back to normal.  I have not heard anybody else having that problem but me.  Hmmmm.  Weird.  Well, it was miserable but it's over and I'm all caught up!  Yippee!  Now come hell or high water I'm getting to class everyday because I do NOT want to do another double.  It is TORTURE!

6 comments:

  1. I've never seen it happen (someone pass out) but I did it myself a few weeks ago. I was "charging my body forward" in bow and just kept going. I hit my forehead pretty hard on the rug and got a little rug burn and a nice fat bruise. Fun, fun, fun!

    Glad you're doing so well with this 101 days. It sounds like it really is having the desired effect. And you're less than 20 days from your goal!

    Way to go, lady!

    -CJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness Corva, can't believe you passed out in bow! WIld! Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya Doll!
    I've been playing catch up on your blog posts (been so busy). I must just say that you have totally, undeniably blown me away. I struggled with my last *30* Day Challenge. YOU are amazing... what mental, physical and emotional strength you have! I can hardly wait to see your 'after' photo. Too bad we aren't able to take a photo of the beauty that is also happening inside your heart and spirit.
    Namaste g/friend. xoxo

    PS: Just created a Cafe Yogi facebook page: love to see you there!

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cafe-Yogi/72141953620

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, thanks for stopping by! I cannot tell you how very much it touches me to read these wonderful comments by fellow yogini's that I have not yet been privileged to meet in person. It blows me away and makes me feel so very lucky to have found the Bikram community. I will for sure join the facebook group. Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still haven't done a back to back double. I lose about 7-9 lbs during a regular class. I doubt whether I could keep enough water in me to do a back to back. Probably yes, but who knows?

    We get into habits to prepare for a regular class. A back to back double should take some special preparation. More so, if you aren't going to ease off in either class. Do you do anything different to make sure you are hydrated, don't get electrolyte depletion, and have enough fuel (glucose and protien)? That might have something to do with the your problems.

    If you think there's any chance you might miss another class in the next three weeks, I highly recommend doing another double before you miss the class. It's much easier to do one when you want, instead of trying to make one up because you have to.

    And I haven't seen anyone pass out either. I thought at first the P you were taliking about was Reggi spitting up. But if you've read my misadventures with Locust, you probably know that I don't pay much attention to a little spitting up, as unpleasant as it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Duffy~ I think that is part of the problem, I have not done enough back to back doubles to get a routine. For my "daily" classes, I am very regimented in how I prepare. Perhaps next time I will just do a split double....morning and then late afternoon. My body very obviously needed some recovery time!

    ReplyDelete