Friday, February 19, 2010

Day 50: A Tight Muscle is a Light Muscle

Today was 5pm with Erika up at Summerlin. I've always thought Erika was a good teacher, but lately she's really been growing on me.....she's moved up into my "top 5" :). She's just got such great energy, dialog and compassion. I was in the front row to the left of the podium right next to her. I felt very strong starting off. After eagle I stood there looking into the mirror feeling like a gymnast that just warmed up and is ready to go do a bunch of flips or something. I was really amped. Standing head to knee I felt solid kicking out. Usually when I kick out I get tired and winded pretty quickly. Today I was squeezing those thigh muscles as tight as I could, breathing calmly and not feeling winded! "A tight muscle is a light muscle" popped into my head (in Drays voice, he says that all of the time). Erika said "good Michelle!" when she saw me kicking out, solid. Second set I almost got my forehead to my knee both times and I didn't fall out right away like usual. I was able to hold the posture steady while trying to get the forehead to the knee. I was really close on both sides! After class I accosted Erika in the hall "did you see that! I almost got my forehead to my knee!" She smiled and said "I did! I was going to tell you to go for it but then I saw how focused you were and I was like 'she's going to do it!'"
I grinned ear to ear, so tempted to give her a big sweaty bear hug and knock her over. I opted not to do that. Probably a good call on my part, she's pretty petite.

7 comments:

  1. YAY.. that's one i'm still workin on.. such a life long process. all those "a-ha" moments are so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Compassionate, supportive teachers are the BEST. Yesterday it was extra hot and we were dropping like flies. Most of us probably had what we'd consider a crappy class. But a couple of times she reminded us that we all have off days, to not be hard on ourselves. I totally needed to hear that. So glad you made progress on head-to-knee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cat and Yolk E! I'm soooo excited still! It took me two years just to kick out, and kicking out wipes me out. But finally finally finally I am making progress on that sucker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moving forward...:)
    congrats

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still working on that one. Congratulations on the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome class my dear! Can't wait for that feeling again!!! Enjoy your practice :)

    ReplyDelete